Can Ovarian Cysts Affect Pregnancy?
Can ovarian cysts affect pregnancy and how common is it? Fairly common, usually affecting 1 out of every 1000 women. Luckily, most ovarian cysts go away on their own and won’t affect a woman’s pregnancy. Most ovarian cysts discovered during pregnancy are not cancerous, statistics show only 1 out of every 25,000 births end up with ovarian cancer. Although, an ultrasound alone may not be enough to determine whether a cyst is benign or not.
How Can Ovarian Cysts Affect Pregnancy?
Unfortunately, there are times when larger ovarian cysts can affect pregnancy (typically over 8cm). What makes these cysts problematic during pregnancy is that they can burst, rupture or get twisted (torsion) which can cause serious pain for the patient and the possibility of premature labor or even miscarriage of the baby. The larger the cyst is, the higher the risk is for it to rupture.
When these types of ovarian cysts affect pregnancy they are usually surgically removed. Depending on the size of the cysts, your doctor may recommend laparoscopy, however, if the cyst is too large a bigger incision may be necessary for removal. If surgery is required, it is usually recommended to wait until the second trimester.
Although most gynecologists say that more than 90% of cysts are harmless, it would still definitely bother a woman if there is a chance they get the 10%, which are harmful. They may be harmful to the woman herself or to a developing baby if a woman gets pregnant.
Can ovarian cysts affect pregnancy and ovulation? Yes, by interfering with the normal ovulation, thus preventing a woman from becoming pregnant and can possibly lead to infertility. They come in different types and two of them are known to greatly affect pregnancy. The first one is what they call endometrioma which develops in the lining of the uterus. It grows bigger and thickens the lining of the uterus affecting the development of the baby. The second one is what they call cystadenoma. Cystadenoma is a cyst that grows as big as 30 cm in diameter. It is very painful for any woman to experience and even more so for a pregnant woman.
Having ovarian cysts treated while a woman is pregnant is very risky. It may lead to unwanted abortion. The best time to have it treated is definitely before pregnancy. Regular consultation with your gynecologist is very important. By doing so, you are able to track if you have any abnormalities or if there is an existing ovarian cyst which may hinder you from getting pregnant or conceiving.
Can You Prevent Ovarian Cysts From Affecting Pregnancy Without Surgery?
Luckily there are safe, natural methods that can show you exactly how to prevent ovarian cysts from forming and prevent them from affecting pregnancy altogether! Holistic programs can also help with shrinking existing cysts. You just need a clinically researched, step-by-step method to help you along the way….
Ovarian Cysts Related Sites
Incoming search terms:
- can ovarian cysts affect pregnancy
- can an ovarian cyst affect pregnancy
- how do ovarian cysts affect pregnancy
- can ovarian cyst affect pregnancy
- does ovarian cyst affect pregnancy
- ovarian cyst affect pregnancy